Plum & Custard Crumble Bars
· 1 ½ cups (135g) rolled oats
· 1 cup (150g) plain flour
· ½ cup (110g) brown sugar
· ½ cup (40g) flaked almonds
· ¼ cup (25g) coarsely chopped walnuts
· 1 tsp ground cinnamon
· 125g butter, melted
· 1 Free Range Egg yolk
· 2 just-firm plums, stoned, cut into thin wedges
· ¼ cup (30g) custard powder
· 2 tbs caster sugar
· 1 cup (250ml) milk
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease an 18cm x 28cm slice pan. Line the base and sides with baking paper, allowing the sides to overhang.
2. Combine oats, flour, sugar, almond, walnut and cinnamon in a large bowl. Add the butter and egg yolk and stir until just combined. Spoon half the mixture into the prepared pan and use the back of the spoon to spread and press evenly over the base. Bake for 15 mins or until light golden.
3. Meanwhile, to make the custard filling, combine the custard powder and sugar in a medium saucepan. Gradually add the milk, stirring well after each addition. Place over medium heat. Cook, stirring constantly, for 5 mins or until the custard boils and thickens. Set aside to cool slightly.
4. Pour the custard filling over the slice base in the pan. Arrange the plum over the custard filling. Sprinkle the remaining oat mixture evenly over the plum. Bake for 30 mins or until the top is golden brown. Set aside in the pan to cool completely. Cut into pieces.