Seven Autumn Gardening Tips
1. Mulch is your garden’s best friend. It helps the soil hold in moisture, so you don’t have to water it as often and it also keeps down weeds. Over time, mulch will break down into your soil and improve it by adding nutrients.
2. Fertilising your lawn will ensure that it stays green and healthy throughout the year. Autumn is a great time to fertilise because it protects your lawn through the winter months.
3. Pruning. There are many reasons why you should prune your trees. It helps improve the health and appearance of your trees, removes dead or dying branches and it can even promote crop growth in fruit trees.
4. Planting bulbs is a great way to add a splash of colour to your garden. You’d be surprised how many different colours, sizes and types of bulbs that you can choose from. Autumn is the perfect time of year to plant them as they’ll have enough time to grow before they are ready to flourish in spring.
5. A garden bed can be a great feature to have in your garden. It’s the perfect place to grow vegies or act as a focal point in your backyard. For the best results, use a good quality topsoil so your plants get enough of the good nutrients they need to start growing.
6. Fruit Trees. Australia’s climate and conditions are ideal for growing fruit trees. All they need is full sun, good drainage, room to grow and they’ll be thriving in no time. A good tip is to avoid overcrowding your trees with other plants or structures like fences as this will curb their growth.
7. Compost. Make your own compost because compost is a natural fertiliser that is great for your garden. It can help you save money and it’s good for the environment.